Custom Search

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Otori Japanese Restaurant (closed?)

Physical Address: Blk 5, Lock Road, Gillman Village (closed on Sundays)
Tel: 6472 0282

Having just been to Japan 6 months ago in Oct 2007 (see my other blog: http://www.exotictravelnotes.blogspot.com/ ), I have been looking for Japanese food here that comes close to the authentic ones I have tried in Japan. I believe I have found it!

The sashimi (Japanese: 刺身) must not only be very fresh, it must be served at a certain temperature to get that refreshing taste. The maguro (tuna, Japanese: まぐろ) sashimi we had (S$18 (before GST) for a plate of about 6 slices) refreshed my memory, as it brought my memory back to Tokyo when I first tried it.

Thank you, Otori. Arigato gozaimasu. :-)

4 comments:

Acey Deucey said...

I believe Otori has just closed down recently. The last time I went, and it was open, was 19th April.

In early May, I went again. No lights, no nothing. There was a lady outside who told me that the place, and the chinese restaurant beside it, has been taken over by another establishment and it will be renovated to become a Western style restaurant.

I'm a fan of Otori and man, this is really sad news for me.

cm said...

Thanks for your update, Acey. My office is near Gillman and we will definitely miss this place!

Acey Deucey said...

Hey, I have a new discovery to share. Just across the road, in NOL building, is another Japanese restaurant called Yuzu-Shimizu.

My wife and I used to like a certain set dinner at Otori and found the exact same set in this restaurant. Curiosity got the better of us and we ordered it.

Not only was the set the same, it tasted almost the same too! The century egg appetiser tasted heavenly, just that that of Otori's! We were wondering who copied who...

Acey Deucey said...

Sorry, wrong building name. I meant PSA building, not NOL building.

Visits so far: